Saturday, May 24, 2008

Commencement 2008


So on May 20th, some of the Singaporeans graduated. LC and WY finally finished their final lapse of the 5 years doctoral studies at TC. We had a mini farewell gathering for them to celebrate as LC would be going back to NIE to take on her new role in the insitution and WY would continue to stay on in NYC to look for a job. I had so much admiration for the two of them. I always wondered how did they handle balancing family and work. Especially WY who have two young toddlers to take care. Mind you when you are staying overseas, there's no such thing as maids as it's super costly to hire one.I always felt that doctorate students were always so focused, disciplined, capable and organized.This was something which I had observed and admired. You certainly need these qualities when you will be investing 5 years of your life,financial resources. Will I ever be ready for it if I decide to go into academia or will I still prefer to work in the front line with the children?

No comments: